Saturday 9 January 2016

News from your Member of Parliament

News from your Member of Parliament
Jackie Doyle-Price MP

Fighting for Thurrock

Dear Residents,

I do hope you have had an enjoyable festive season.  As we begin a New Year I thought I would drop you a line on some current issues.

Lower Thames Crossing

In a matter of weeks, the Government will be bringing forward clear proposals regarding the location of the new Lower Thames Crossing.  In view of the congestion here in Thurrock caused by the Dartford Crossing, I have been arguing that any new crossing should be located downstream from Thurrock. 

These arguments have been resisted by the Highways Agency who argue that a new crossing further downstream would not alleviate congestion at Dartford.  Consequently a new crossing will be located either alongside the existing crossing, or between East Tilbury and Gravesend.

As time progresses it becomes more and more clear that no new crossing is not an option.  We need to build resilience into the road network.  I have therefore challenged Ministers to ensure that their proposals meet the following criteria:

  1. It must alleviate congestion at the Dartford crossing
  2. It must not add congestion to the Thurrock Road network
  3. It must not add congestion to the A13 or M25

I will be in touch to seek your views when the proposals are released.

C2C timetable

Prior to Christmas, C2C introduced a new timetable.  Whilst many commuters welcome the changes, there has been criticism.  I have challenged C2C on the issues raised with me and they have reflected on these representations and implemented some tweaks to the timetable.  Do let me know if you have anything to share.

European Referendum

Those who have been wanting a referendum on our membership of the European Union will be pleased that we have now passed the law to enable a referendum, and it is very likely that it will take place this year.  It will be for the British public to decide whether we stay or leave the European Union. 

Syria and Fighting Terrorism

Just before Christmas you will recall that the House of Commons voted to extend our mission in Iraq into Syria.  This decision reflects the fact that we will not defeat ISIL unless we can attack their bases in Syria as well as in Iraq. 

Make no mistake, ISIL are a clear and present danger to us all.  Our security services have foiled 7 terrorist plots to attack our country and our neighbours, all of which were planned in Syria.  The first duty of any Government is to keep its citizens safe and I am pleased that the decision to take action was supported by MPs from all political parties.

Fighting for Thurrock

I have the privilege of serving in Her Majesty's Government and it is a real honour to do so.  I am enjoying working with Ministers and Opposition colleagues to make sure that business runs smoothly and the Government secures its legislation. I do however continue fighting for Thurrock.  Since November we have been visited by no fewer than four Ministers: Ministers from the Department of Transport, the Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport and the Chancellor of the Exchequer.  This reflects the interest and support which we in Thurrock have from the Government and underlines the commitment my Ministerial colleagues have to make Thurrock be the best it can be.

Finally...

You can get more regular updates on what I have been up to by following me on Twitter at @jackiedpand by 'liking' my Facebook Page which I will be updated regularly with my activities, campaigns and up to date information on both my parliamentary and constituency based work.

As always, do feel free to get in touch if there is anything I can ever help you withcontact meI think that is enough for now. 

Best Wishes,

Jackie Doyle-Price MP
Member of Parliament for Thurrock

No comments: